In case you’re wondering, here’s …. The Copper Country’s top 10 stories of 2002 (as reported by The Daily Mining Gazette.)
1. A fire at fraternity Sigma Delta Chi in Houghton claims the life of one student.
2. Long-time retailer Kmart closes its doors at the Copper Country Mall.
3. Spring floods wreak havoc on U.P. roads and lives.
4. Western U.P. chapter of the American Red Cross is dissolved.
5. Michigan Tech EnterPrise SmartZone selects two local landmarks as its business incubators.
6. Houghton and Hancock build America’s first snowhouses.
7. Thousands of free spirits invade Ewen for the national Rainbow Family gathering.
8. U.P. invaded with wild animals ranging from wolves, wild Russian boars and maybe cougars.
9. First Superfund sites move toward delistment.
10. Mass City man fights to bury his mother without the aid of a funeral director.